Friday, February 26, 2010

The tile adhesive i am trying to get of my floor is black and gets sticky when heated. Any advise....?

Well when you said black and sticky I instantly went back to childhood and thought of that ugly old tile (VCT) in my parents house..LOL Yes it's a messy job I'll agree. It would be easier to just cover it up and move on but your talking some added expense, more labor and time consuming. I'm going to stick with the chemical adhesive removers. I wish I knew if it was on concrete or wood but you just brush a semi-paste chemical on and let it sit. Adhesive gets very slick and slimy, scrape it up with putty / broad knife (6-12inch wide) wash with hot water a few times and throw your brush away!!! I suggest wearing knee pads and covering the toes of an old pair of shoes with tape....oh yeah and gloves. I just don't think the added height of a new substrate will benefit you if you don't have too. Hope all these suggestions help!!! Good Luck!The tile adhesive i am trying to get of my floor is black and gets sticky when heated. Any advise....?
Many years ago there was a black adhesive used for laying tiles and vinyl flooring. I have encountered it in older (older than 25 yrs) homes. The best way to deal with it is cover it up!. Use a 1/4'; smooth finish plywood and then put your new flooring on top. If you are trying to remove it so that you can use the flooring underneath maybe old hardwood planks - try getting your refinisher out to take a look maybe able to use a rougher sanding paper to sand it off if it isnt asbestos related! GOOD LUCKThe tile adhesive i am trying to get of my floor is black and gets sticky when heated. Any advise....?
The old adhesive is called Cutback, it is an asphalt (tar) product and does not contain asbestos. It is no longer made, replaced by more environmentally friendly products. I have spread barrels of it.





It is obviously very hard to remove,and methods that would work to remove it would also be hazardous. It will not hurt to leave it, and will be a lot less costly overall if you do.





Install a 1/4'; underlayment board right over it, and go with the new floor. Any lumberyard can provide it, just be sure they know it's for floor use.
After just answering your other related question, I'm disappointed that anyone would install tile that way, unless it's vinyl tile. I suggest forget scraping. Forget alcohol and heat guns. Install new substrate and move on. I did see someone previously say 1/4 inch. I'd advise against anything less than 1/2 inch.





Steven Wolf


(The Rev.)
That old black adhesive might very well contain asbestos. Do not scrape or sand it. It is better to cover over it with Hardi-backer or a similar cement underlayment. Then tile away.
Stop using this now!!!! You are using a product for vinyl flooring tiles. Remove it as best you can, and get either tile mastic or thin set mortar. All home imp. stores should carry these premixed. Also, use a cement backer of some kind. Never apply tile on wood.
Brian d could be right the part you need to know is if your tiles are 9 x 9 inch or 12 x 12, if they are 9 x 9 the adhesive is made with asbestos. You should stop what you are doing and cover it with a Luann, or use a levelastic and cover the entire area.





Good Luck


Moskie257

No comments:

Post a Comment