Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Whats the best way to remove dried glue/adhesive from a wood floor?

I recently started work on my enclosed porch. The first thing I did was pull out the old carpet. Underneath I found dried glue all over the plank wood floor. Now, I'd like to make this as easy as possible (I'm thinking of vinyl tile or carpet). the only problem is the glue; its a pain scraping it off. If I dont scrape off this adhesive, the vinyl tiles will bubble up, and my last choice is carpet. Any ideas? thanksWhats the best way to remove dried glue/adhesive from a wood floor?
The best thing to use on glue is baby oil I use it for glue, gum and when there is old tape stuck on something it will break the glue up if you soak it over night in it and it will come off easier. I hope this helps and I haven't tried this but I know some people use downy to remove old wall paper they claim it will also break up the glue.Whats the best way to remove dried glue/adhesive from a wood floor?
Removing glue can be a difficult procedure. Try to determine whether the adhesive is a water base system or a solvent base system. One way of doing this is to pour warm soapy water on the adhesive to see if it helps to soften it up. If that method doesn't work, try a little solvent such as LePage PolyClens or LePage Poly Super Strippa on a cloth to see if that helps to soften the adhesive, taking care not to damage your surface. Glue that has been in place for a long time will become quite hard and the only way to remove it may be by abrading or sanding the adhesive down.



If you're not concerned with the finish on the wood, look for a solvent that will dissolve the glue, Some of the newer strippers work well on mastic. 2nd choice, a heat gun used with a scraper. lots of elbow grease for that one. 3rd. Look for a scraper adapter for a reciprocating saw. (Think Sawzall) I saw one for sale a few weeks ago but haven't actually used it.
It is best not to try taking up the dried glue. It is better to skim over the floor with a floor patch. If you are going you use a vinyl tile, I reccomend the brand Ardex. Another brand, Dependable is good too, but only if you mix it with liquid latex and not water.
It's a pain scraping... but guess what. That's how you're gonna get most of it off. The only other thing you can try is sanding.





I'd get one of those scrapers that you pull, as opposed to the type that look like a spackle knife. It will cut the hard glue much faster and easier.
maybe take parchment paper on top of glue and then put hot iron on top of it to heat it up, maybe then you can use a strapper and it will come off. i have never tried it but sounds like it could work
Rent a big industrial belt (floor sander) from lowes or home depot. Hold on tight and keep it level, take the whole floor down a layer and be done with it.
I'd try paint remover, or just replacing the floor.
rubbing alcohol will loosen it up enough that you can get it up without damaging the floor
Sanding is the only solution I know of. A belt sander should make short work of it.
acid
sander !!
lemon juice
i know peanut butter works w/ carpet, so u could try that. or toothpaste
  • Fashion leather necklace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment