Friday, February 26, 2010

How do I clean adhesive tile off of hardwood floors?

For whatever reason, the previous owner used adhesive tile as a hearth for their woodstove (I know very illegal) I have pulled them all up, now I just need some guidance on how to strip the glue/adhesive stuff off of the hardwoods. Thanks for your help!How do I clean adhesive tile off of hardwood floors?
The trick I found that works the best is a heat gun and a putty knife, hairdryer would probably suffice for heat gun, anyways heat the old adhesive until it softens then scrape it with a putty knife, I'd try a plastic putty knife first to avoid ruining the finish, after you have as much of the adhesive removed as possible use adhesive remover or some hot soap and water to remove the residue, nail polish remover will etch the floors varnish and pull stain out the wood, so unless you want to refinish the entire floor I'd try this first. If you are successful in removing the old adhesive I recommend Min-wax floor restorer, that stuff works great.How do I clean adhesive tile off of hardwood floors?
I would try turpentine...it usually cuts and softens most glues...apply, wipe, apply, wipe..this will not hurt the finish on your floor. Any kind of scraping will damage the floor underneath. IF you plan on installing some kind of stone or ceramic hearth, you will have to overlay the floor with backer board, for you cannot set tile or stone to hardwood floors...too much movement. IN that case, just heat and scrape, get on with life.
Lighter fuel is excellent for removing gum/glue/paint. Lighter fuel as in Petrol. Pour some onto a rag and rub in then wipe off with a clean cloth, the fuel will evaporate in seconds. Let me know how you get on. Good luck. Jamesiree
There's several types of strippers you can use,but it will strip to bare wood.So if your going to put a new hearth down,I would cover over it.You may end up doing the whole floor if you try to strip it.
try finger nail polish remover
  • Fashion leather necklace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment