Sunday, February 21, 2010

The self-adhesive tiles on my bathroom floor are shifting. Can I fix it or do I have to replace them?

Those self-adhesive tiles are a hit and miss application. Sometimes they stay and sometimes they don't. My wife tried the self stick and had the same problem. She got them up and put down a better (more expensive) brand. They haven't moved at all.The self-adhesive tiles on my bathroom floor are shifting. Can I fix it or do I have to replace them?
I'm not a fan of self stick but have a suggestion.





I've install thousands of sq. ft. of various flooring in my time and offer this.





Since it's after the fact, it isn't too late. If you can peel the tile with a wide blade paint knife, without damage, you can try a contact adhesive (water based or other) AS I do in any install of vinyl tiles.





Apply the adhesive to both the back of the tile and the floor (Assuming there isn't much residue), or rough sand what residue might exist...allow the contact cement to dry as instructed, then replace the tile/tiles.





As others have and will state the adhesive is pretty poor regarding quality, and is subect to the same abuse as Mortar under ceramic tile.





Steven WolfThe self-adhesive tiles on my bathroom floor are shifting. Can I fix it or do I have to replace them?
I'd replace them. Those self adhering ones suck. I used them before. If you want something that looks awesome, talk to the folks at Lowe's or Home Depot. Ceramic with a nice rustic roman look....ask them...you could find something you really like. :)
If you laid them down and didn't add an additive to the floor, they won;t stay sticking.








There is a milky white additive that you mop on the floor before sticking tile.





So at this point I would carefully peel the ones that are shifting and put ashesive on the bottom to lock them down./
1) try grout


2) any loose tiles - re glue


3) score grout lines and fill in with appropriate glue


4) try a hairdryer or similar hot gun and see if reheating the tiles resets the glue


5)drill a tiny hole in tile - nail in a small headless nail and touch up top with paint or melt tile with a small soldering tool


6) call a pro
obviously water has got underneath them. You need to replace them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment