Friday, February 19, 2010

How do I remove linoleum floor adhesive from a cement slab?

I removed the top surface of the linoleum floor with a heavy duty scraper. Now I have to try and remove all of the adhesive and backing which was left behind. I am planning on installing porcelain stone tiles with radiant floor heaters. What would be the best way to get down to the bare cement slab so I can start with the smoothest surface possible? I tried some heavy duty chemicals and more scraping, but all it did was stink up the house and make me feel dizzy.How do I remove linoleum floor adhesive from a cement slab?
No matter what you do this is a nasty job. Chemicals will not help much and usually make things more gummy and difficult.


If you have been using a razor scraper so far it doesn't get much better.


Using a heat gun or even a hair dryer will soften the glue and make removing the chunks of old lino easier.The glue is easiest to remove when dry and can be cut off with a sharp scraper blade.


I usually end up with blisters on my blisters after a job like this, sorry.How do I remove linoleum floor adhesive from a cement slab?
Use a hot iron with lots of steam. It loosens the glue and makes the tiles come up easily without chipping and you don't have to you elbow grease.

Report Abuse



You can try your luck with an ice scraper - not the car kind, the metal kind with a long wooden handle. Sharpening the blade should work real nice. If not, I do believe they sell a special tool for this, but I never had to use one. Ask someone at the tile store, but a sharp ice scraper should do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment